|Harry &David Copycat Red & Hot Pepper|
&Onion Relish Recipe
This yummy Harry & David Sweet and Hot Pepper and Onion Relish are so good served on cream cheese with crackers or chips. It makes a lovely gift and friends will be asking for more.
- 6 cups tomatoes, skinned, diced and drained
- 6 large red peppers, diced, or multiple colors
- 8 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 boxes pectin (1.75 ounces each)
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 5 large jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 large jalapeño pepper, diced with seeds
- 3 large onions, diced
Step 1: Mix all ingredients together, except pectin and bring to a boil.
Step 2: Turn down and simmer for 2 - 2 1/2 hours until thickened.
Step 3: Whisk in the 2 boxes of pectin and boil for 1 minute.
Step 4: Pour into sterile jars leaving ½-inch headspace.
Step 4: Process in pressure canner at #11 for 15 minutes.
Tips From Margielynn
For the faint heart, you can remove seeds from jalapeños and cut down the amount; reduce amounts of ground red pepper and crushed red pepper, when doing this you may need to cut back on the sugar.
For those that like it hot be a little generous on the heat because it seems to leave the product after canning. Some add as many as 10 jalapeños.
Also, in using the 8 cups of sugar you need the hot peppers to balance out the sweet.