This Copycat Popeye's Fried Chicken recipe is a spicier fried chicken so get ready for your taste buds to wake up.
- 3-4 pounds of chicken strips with skin or one chicken cut into pieces
- 6 cups canola oil
- 2 tablespoons white pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 eggs
- Combine in a large bowl; flour, salt, peppers, and paprika.
- Break the eggs into a small bowl and beat until well blended.
- Dip each piece of chicken into the blended egg, then coat well with the flour mixture.
- After coating the chicken; place on a rack to allow the pieces to dry, about 20 to 30 minutes. You will get even browning on the chicken by letting it dry.
- Heat the Canola oil over medium heat in a deep fryer or in a large, deep pan on the stove.
- To fry chicken strips, heat oil in a heavy skillet over a medium-high burner until the oil is very hot or in an electric deep fryer.
- Place the chicken pieces in the hot oil, skin side down, one piece at a time. Leave enough space among pieces so that they are not crowded.
- Cook over a medium heat, turning until all sides are golden brown and the meat is cooked thoroughly.
- Place on a paper towel to allow grease to drain.