- ½ cup butter, do not use anything else
- 1 cup pecan halves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream, or whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
- Melt the butter in a heavy skillet over low heat.
- Add the pecans and salt; saute, stirring constantly, until the pecans start to turn brown.
- Drain the butter into a small bowl. Transfer the pecans to another bowl and let cool.
- Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more.
- Pour in the cream and milk, and whisk to blend. Add the melted butter and blend.
- Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer's directions.
- After the ice cream stiffens (about 2 minutes before it is done), add the pecans, then continue freezing until done.
Makes 1 quart.