Cracker Barrel Pumpkin Custard N’ Gingersnaps is a seasonal dessert at the Cracker Barrel Old Country store.
- 8 egg yolks
- 1-15 ounce can of pure pumpkin
- 1 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup gingersnap cookies and about 8 gingersnap cookies that are whole
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Separate the whites from the yolks.
- In a medium-sized glass bowl, whisk egg yolks until they are creamy.
- Add 1/2 cup sugar, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, pumpkin, 1 3/4 cups of heavy cream; mix well.
- Place in a double boiler and cook the custard mixture; stir until the custard has thickened.
- Dip the custard into either an 8 x 8-inch baking dish or into 8 custard dishes.
- Bake in the oven for about 30-35 minutes. It is done when an inserted knife comes out clean.
- After 15 minutes of baking remove pan and sprinkle on the top a combined mixture of one cup gingersnaps and one tablespoon melted butter return to the oven to finish baking.
- For individual custard dishes check the custard at 20-25 minutes. Sprinkle the gingersnap mixture on after 10 minutes; continue baking.
- Allow the custard to cool to room temperature.
- When you are ready to serve, mix the whipped cream and pumpkin pie spice topping by whisking together the one cup whipping cream, one tablespoon granulated sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice; whisk until thickened.